Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Café Estelle




After a night out in Philadelphia, one of my closest friends and fellow foodie persuaded me to join her for brunch at a spot in Northern Liberties. Nested inside the lobby of the 444 Lofts on North 4th Street is the gem, Café Estelle.

Lucky for us, we beat the Sunday morning rush and were seated right away. After scanning the above menu, I narrowed my choices to one of the omelets or the frittata. When in doubt, I always defer to the server. Our waitress expressed that Café Estelle was known for their omelets. As a result, I ordered the omelet with cauliflower, apple butter, and smoked cheddar. In the interim, we sipped some freshly roasted java and conversed about our strategies for world domination.

Our food arrived in a timely manner. The egg was light and fluffy. The flavor was savory yet sweet. The chemical interaction of the apple butter with the herbs appealed to most of my taste buds. Yet, something was missing. When I concoct culinary dishes, I tend to have a heavy hand with the heat. So, I summoned the server to bring me a bottle of Sriracha. It was the perfect accompaniment to achieve sensory harmony. The amateur chef in me would have subbed smoked gouda or mozzarella for the cheddar as well.

Considering everything, I was more than pleased. The food and service were great. And after paying the bill, the owner handed us two cups of haute caffeine, also known as fair trade organic coffee, for our walk back.

Café Estelle

444 North 4th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123-4124
(215) 925-5080

http://www.cafeestelle.com/

The Score
Greg Laswell - What A Day


Cold - Glass Of Water

No comments:

Post a Comment